North Korea has been preparing for war.
In recent months, North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un has threatened the Western world and held imposing nuclear tests frequently.
But now, the Korean dictator just issued an order to do the unthinkable–and the world is wondering why.
North Korea reached out to South Korea recently via a diplomatic hotline that has remained silent for years.
The path for dialogue between the rival nations has finally been cleared–but why?
CNN first reported that Kim Jong Un issued the order to reopen the line last week, referencing North Korean and South Korean media reports.
North Korea made two phone calls to the South, first to check technical issues and again to discuss business.
It is not yet known what was discussed outside of the connection, but according to Korean media sources, the talks were not lengthy or substantive.
The Daily Caller reported:
The two Koreas lost contact in February 2016, as North Korea severed ties after South Korea closed the joint Kaesong Industrial Complex in response to the North’s nuclear test one month prior.
South Korea has tried calling twice a day every day for two years, but no one has answered the phone in North Korea.
Kim called for talks between North and South Korea during his New Year’s address, changing course after ignoring South Korea’s offers to talk for most of last year. Kim also expressed an interest in sending a delegation to participate in the upcoming Winter Olympics scheduled to be held in PyeongChang, South Korea in February.
South Korea responded positively to the idea, proposing talks in the Panmunjom truce village next Tuesday.
Western world leaders are suspicious of the recently opened connection between the two warring countries.
President Donald Trump claimed the call could be either good or bad news, the Department of State is wary of Kim Jong Un’s intentions.
The Daily Caller reported:
“If the two countries decide that they want to have talks, that would be certainly their choice,” Department of State spokeswoman Heather Nauert told reporters Tuesday, “Kim Jong Un may be trying to drive a wedge of some sort between the two nations, between our nation and the Republic of Korea. I can assure you that that will not happen … We are very skeptical of Kim Jong Un’s sincerity in sitting down and having talks.”
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said that the U.S. will not take talks seriously unless if the parties involved do not take steps to address North Korea’s expanding nuclear arsenal.
“We won’t take any of the talks seriously if they don’t do something to ban all nuclear weapons in North Korea,” Haley said Tuesday, “North Korea can talk to anyone they want, but the U.S. is not going to recognize it or acknowledge it until they agree to ban the nuclear weapons that they have.”
Korean media sources have several theories as to why communications were recently opened.
Some suggest that North Korea intends to drive a wedge between South Korea and the U.S., while others believe North Korea may be seeing sanctions relief, as war measures continue to cripple North Korea resources and the economy.
Why do you think North Korea is suddenly eager to make contact with South Korea?
Leave us your thoughts in the comments section below.